An Important Sector of Canada's Economy
The seven member companies of the Cement Association of Canada operate 15 cement plants in five provinces and produce over 98% of the cement used in Canada. Over 40% of the cement and concrete industry is vertically integrated, which means that many member companies also own and operate ready mix concrete, construction and aggregate businesses. The cement industry is an important economic presence in communities across Canada.
2012 facts and figures on the Canadian cement and concrete industries
- Member companies produced over 13 million tonnes of cement, worth more than $1.6 billion; 3.4 million tonnes were exported, primarily to the U.S.
- The industry employs over 27,000 Canadians in the production of cement, ready mix concrete and concrete construction materials.
- Cement is manufactured at 15 plants and delivered to more than 45 distribution centres across the country.
- Concrete products, such as ready-mix concrete, pipes, pre-cast structures, bricks and blocks are produced in 1,100 plants nation-wide.
- Approximately 28.1 million cubic metres of concrete (about one cubic metre per Canadian) are used each year in construction projects to:
- pave roads, highways, sidewalks and parking lots
- build homes, apartments and office towers
- construct sewers and water treatment facilities
- build storage and waste management facilities for agriculture
- build bridges, ports, airports, dams, power plants and oil wells
Canadian Cement Companies
Cement is readily available in every region of Canada. Our seven companies operate 15 cement plants, which produced 13 million tonnes of cement in 2012.
|Province||Number of Plants||Clinker Capacity|
Millions of Tonnes/year
|Locations of Cement Plants|
|BC||2||2.613||Lafarge Canada Inc. - Richmond, Lehigh Hanson Canada - Delta|
||Lafarge Canada Inc. - Exshaw, Lehigh Hanson Canada - Edmonton|
||Lehigh Hanson Canada - Picton, Federal White Cement Inc. - Woodstock, Lafarge Canada Inc. - Bath, CRH Canada Group Inc. - Mississauga, St Marys Cement - Bowmanville and St Marys|
||Ciment Quebec Inc. - Saint-Basile, Colacem Canada - Grenville-sur-la-Rouge, CRH Canada Group Inc. - Joliette, Lafarge Canada Inc. - Saint-Constant|
|Nova Scotia||1||0.506||Lafarge Canada Inc. - Brookfield|
|Canadian Total||16, 388|